Motorhome driving regulations to be relaxed

If you’re planning on purchasing a motorhome, this news could be music to your ears: the European government is planning to relax its regulations surrounding category C1 driving licences, which are required to pilot vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.

At the moment, anyone who passed their driving test after 1st January 1997 must take an additional practical and theory examination in order to drive a vehicle that ways more than 3.5 tonnes, regardless of whether it is a commercial or domestic vehicle.

The European Commission, however, has now announced a directive to introduce a new licence type called the C1 97, designed specifically for motorhome owners.

This means that although motorhome drivers must still sit an additional test, they will be exempt from elements of the current C1 exam that are only applicable to commercial drivers e.g. knowledge of driver hour regulations, tachometer skills and such like.

European Union countries, including the UK, are required to adopt the new C1 97 driving test by 31st December this year.

Coast is an expert motorhome insurance provider. For comprehensive motorhome cover call Freephone 0800 614 849.