Basic Vehicle Safety Check
When touring with your caravan or motorhome in the UK or abroad, safety is paramount. A basic safety check for vehicles:
- Check tyre pressures and treads (including spares). The AA website has some useful information about tyre life and this recommends you do not drive on tyres with 2mm or less of tread.
- Fit rear view mirrors to both sides of your vehicle
- If you are travelling abroad, adjust headlights for driving on the right side of the road. This is to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles. This can be achieved simply on older vehicles by using adhesive masks on the headlight glass, but is not so easy on newer vehicles with types of halogen, high density discharge (HID) or xenon headlights. Check with a dealer for your make of vehicle to see what you must do before your intended departure date.
- Make sure you know the laws (e.g. traffic regulations, speed limits, compulsory equipment etc.) and road signs of the country of travel.
- Ensure that you wear seatbelts, where fitted, at all times.